Energy suppliers British Gas, Npower, SSE and Scottish Power have all announced 8%-10% average increases, and the rest are likely to follow suit.
In our blog Electricity prices are on the rise, we discuss two key ways you can stop these ever increasing bills – 1. Find the best tariff and fix it for a period of time. 2. Consider renewable technology and benefit from the government incentive schemes such as Green Deal and RHI.
The Energy Saving Trust have recently published top tips to help you save energy. We thought we would share this with you. We have summarised seven of their top tips below which are quick and easy to do. Start saving now.
1. Draught proof your home – DIY draught proofing of windows, doors and blocking cracks in floors and skirting boards could save £55 a year in a draughty home.
2. Turn off appliances – A typical household could save between £50 and £90 a year just by remembering to turn off appliances left on standby.
3. Change your habits – You can save over £55 a year just by being careful how you use your kitchen appliances.
Set your washing machine to wash at 30°C.
Use a bowl to wash up rather than leaving the hot tap running.
Don’t fill your kettle right up every time – just boil the amount of water you need.
4. Replace your shower head – By installing a water-efficient shower head, a family of four could save around £75 a year on gas for water heating, as well as a further £90 on water bills if they have a water meter.
5. Turn the heat down – turning down your room thermostat by just one degree could save around £65.
6. Insulate your loft – You could save up to £180 a year if your loft is uninsulated by installing 270mm of insulation. Even if you have some insulation by topping up from 100mm to 270mm could save around £25 a year.
7. Change your light bulbs – If the average household replaced all their old-fashioned bulbs with CFLs and all their halogens with LEDs it could save around £60 a year.
For help and advice on reducing your energy costs, call Norcroft Energy now on 01226 763 127.